Skincare | Bravura London Chemical Peels


I rarely make any dramatic changes in my skincare routine but something I've introduced in the last couple of months is consistently using chemical peels from Bravura London. I've refrained from blogging about these peels for a long time as I wasn't really sure how well they were working until now.


Chemical solutions (like Glycolic and Salicylic) can be used to help lift dead skin and unclog pores. They can be particularly beneficial to acne-prone or oily skin and can help if you suffer from milia (trapped oil under the skin which create little bumps with no head) which is the main reason I started buying peels from Bravura London way back in 2013.

I like to keep things simple with my skin so for a long time I found it really hard to get into a set routine of using these. My use of chemical peels was really inconsistent but recently I've committed to using both Glycolic and Salicylic acid on alternate days as they both have different benefits. Glycolic acid is great for reducing hyperpigmentation, whereas Salicylic is better for acne-prone skin.

All of the products come with full instructions so you know exactly what to do. You have to start with thoroughly cleansed skin that has had time to return to it's usual ph (which is roughly after 30 minutes). If you're strapped for time (or impatient like me) you can apply Bravura's Ginseng toner (pictured above) before your peel which only needs 5 minutes to sit.

The peels come in glass bottles with pipettes and it's best to dispense a few drops separately into a glass dish and then apply this to your face with a synthetic brush (like these) or use your fingers. Depending on the peel you use, with the first applications you start off quite small, only leaving them on for a few minutes at a time and gradually with each use you can add a minute to your application time. When you've finished you just rinse your face with cold or tepid water. As I do these at night I usually just apply a little natural oil or The Body Shop's Vitamin E Serum-In-Oil after my peel is rinsed to keep it moisturised.

When I first used these I worried that my skin might be red raw after use or would get worse but I've never experienced any redness or irritation. The peels are actually quite mild and the main benefit has been smoother skin. Specifically the Glycolic acid has helped get rid of some stubborn dark marks and the Salicylic acid has really shifted some blackheads on my nose. My monthly breakouts have persisted and I still have annoying bumps under the skin (milia) but as it's only been a couple of months I'm hoping I might see more benefits in time to come.

Have you ever tried chemical peels?

Lesley x