How To | Make Foundation More Yellow [Video]


Overly pink foundation is my biggest struggle when it comes to finding makeup which suits my skintone but I know I'm not alone. I've already written a post on finding the perfect foundation but what happens if you have something that isn't perfect?

I'll always mix up my own shade when a bottled one won't do. The foundations I use are all from MAC Cosmetics and whilst they are all suited to warmer/neutral tones there is a stark difference between the different types of foundation on offer. For example the MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation has always matched my skin perfectly in shade and undertone (in NC40 & NC42). However my skin is far too oil-prone for this foundation to stay put so I reluctantly looked to alternatives. The MAC Pro Longwear Foundation suits my skin type perfectly but the colour is so off. The NC tones which work so perfectly with the Studio Sculpt Foundations are just too pink for me with the Pro Longwear Foundations.



I've seen a few videos on using yellow food colouring, yellow eyeshadow and even turmeric to adjust foundation which is too pink but I really wanted an actual product made for altering foundation shades. Cue the Make Up For Ever Chromatic Mix in Yellow (£12.95). I purchased it from Guru Makeup Emporium and this tiny (pricey) bottle is a life-saver. Makeup looks so much more natural when matched correctly and I'm hoping this will be the end of my too-pink foundation woes for good.

I've had no problems using the Make Up For Ever Chromatic Mix so far and have been using it to adjust my foundation for the last few days. I got the water-based version to work with the foundations I have but there's also an oil-based version. The texture of formula stays the same after being mixed though I've noticed it changes the scent to a paint-like smell. That's the only negative I've seen so far and this beauty works with concealers too.

YouTube videos on this particular product are virtually non-existent, which may be as this is considered a 'pro' product and it isn't widely available. I created a video on the exact process I've been doing for the past few days to mix my foundation (including making it a little darker) and I'll probably put together a full review on the Chromatic Mix when I've used it more in the next few weeks.

The Video: 


As ever, let me know if you have any questions or any suggestions for videos you'd like to see next.

Do you have to tweak your foundation shade to match your skin?

Lesley x