Laser Hair Removal at the Pulse Light Clinic


I've toyed with the idea of getting laser hair removal for some time, especially on my underarm area which is literally a pain to preen. My underarms are really sensitive so I find waxing, which removes the hairs well, too agonizing and hair removal creams only result in very sore underarms with hair still waving hello after the ordeal. The result? Shaving. Every. Single. Day. My underarms became more irritated and discoloured as a result. The Pulse Light Clinic contacted me last year about potentially reviewing their laser treatment and whilst I was keen (given my problems with hair removal) I wanted to do research before diving in. My main concern was that I've been given contradictory advice regarding laser treatments when I was looking for a solution for my acne a few years ago, notably that I wasn't a suitable candidate for laser due to my skin colour. What wasn't explained to me is there's actually a few different types of lasers which are tailored to different skin types and hair colours. The Pulse Light Clinic have 3 types of laser machines available at their clinic including NDYag which is suitable for dark and asian skin types and this definitely put me more at ease when deciding to go ahead with the treatment.


I had my consultation with practitioner Renee at the end of April at The Pulse Light Clinic on Percy Street. I was given more of an idea about the treatment and what to expect. I was advised that it can take around 8 sessions of the laser treatment to reduce hair growth and sessions are usually spaced 4-6 weeks apart depending on how the hair grows back. 'Top up' sessions can also be done if needed. According to their website the cost of one session for underarms is £83 or a course of 8 is £269*. A patch test was also conducted and I was advised to check for any scabbing or redness. I had no reaction to the laser at all and the feeling of the laser was like a pin prick, not painful but it felt slightly uncomfortable for a few seconds. 

I had my first session at the beginning of May. I was advised to shave my underarms before the treatment and to not wear deodorant. At first I found the session very uncomfortable. I asked the practitioner Renee to stop for a second as the patch test was such a breeze I was worried something was wrong. She used more air to cool the area during the laser process and this helped immediately with the discomfort. Overall the process was quick and I was in and out of the clinic within 20 minutes. My underarms felt a little sore but there was no visible redness.


In the weeks following the treatment I opted not to shave my underarms, though you can shave as much as you like between sessions. I really wanted to see how well the laser had worked and I wanted to give my underarms a bit of a break from shaving. I now no longer have any discolouration and half of the hair fell out completely and hasn't grown back yet. There was some hair which grew back but this was much finer than usual. I'm due for my next session very soon so I'm excited to see the results after a full course of treatment. If the treatment works as well as it has already I'd definitely consider getting laser hair removal on other areas of my body. 

As I've only had one session of the treatment so far I'll be posting an update of my experience in the next few months. If there's anything specific you'd like to know about my treatment feel free to ask and if you're interested in knowing more about laser hair removal from the Pulse Light Clinic they have details on their website here.

*complementary treatment received - read my disclaimer here.


Have you tried laser hair removal?

Lesley x