DIY Hair Growth Oil [Video]


Until recently I haven't really been concerned about the length of my hair and I stopped doing all of the things which helped me get longer hair in the past. It wasn't a conscious decision but where I obsessed over hair growth for 4 years, when trying to reach waist length relaxed hair (see here), I naturally took a step back and just enjoyed my hair for what it is. I've been pretty scissor happy lately too, chopping randomly at my ends since I completed my transition (to texlaxed) back in September last year. As a result I haven't retained a lot of length in the last 6 months but I would love to have a little more hair to play with since the shrinkage is a killer!


I used to regularly rely on an oil mix containing natural and essential oils to promote growth when my hair was fully relaxed. I'd apply it with a massage every few days and mix a little into my shampoos and any conditioners which needed a boost. In past year I've only really been using Coconut Oil or premixed oils and I've merely used them to detangle or as a pre shampoo treatment.

I've been loving Fiona's (Love Your Tresses) posts on hair growth recently (found here and here). She reminded me how beneficial natural oils can be for the hair, especially essential oils like peppermint, and detailed a really interesting study regarding its effect on hair growth in her post. She suggests putting a mix of peppermint essential oil and carrier oils in every product which comes into contact with the scalp to boost growth which is such a great idea. I've now gone back to making my oil mix which includes peppermint oil and I'll be applying it to my scalp regularly. I'll probably add it to certain products like shampoos, conditioners and hair gel too, but I haven't tried this yet.

The below video details the oils I use and how I mix them together. I'm relying on oils I've always used in the past so feel free to make substitutions if you try this or let me know what your favourites are if you already do this. I don't have an exact ratio for my oil mix but I always ensure there's enough carrier oils in the mix to counteract the potency of the essential oils included as they can cause irritation. If you've not used them before, definitely test the essential oils on the inside of your forearm first in case it results in a negative reaction.

The Video:



How do you boost your hair growth?

Lesley x