Review | KeraCare Natural Textures


I’ve been using KeraCare products for a few years but it wasn’t until last year that I realised how extensive their product range actually is. There’s so much to suit different textures and conditions of afro hair. I’ll be reviewing various KeraCare products over the coming weeks and I thought I’d kick off my first review with the KeraCare Natural Textures* line. I had my first taste of the Natural Textures products back in November after attending a Blogger Breakfast with Dr Ali Syed and I fell in love with a few of them instantly. I'm most familiar with these KeraCare products and they've been tried and tested for several months.

As the name suggests, KeraCare Natural Textures are made specifically for natural afro hair, but a lot of the products work very well for my ‘transitioning’ strands. Most Natural Textures products smell gorgeous and they are all made with high quality ingredients. The ingredients which seem to feature most are Shea Butter, Argan Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Amla, Shikakai (Aurvedic) Botanicals and various Fruit Extracts. As a result, the products are on the pricey side and are marketed as salon quality.


Cleansing Cream (£6.35/240ml)*
As much as I love that squeaky clean feeling, most dry or curly hair types can’t take that regular lather, rinse and repeat. This sulphate-free shampoo is a gentle cleanser which removes product build-up without stripping the hair. The shampoo texture is quite thick, resembling a conditioner. As a result, it leaves my hair very soft, moisturised and distinctly less frizzy after using which is always a plus. It doesn’t give me that deep clean feeling, so when I need to clarify my hair from build-up I prefer to use a stronger product (like KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo) first.


Leave-In Conditioner (£5.75/240ml)*
This is a product I’ve come to rely on a lot post-wash as my roots are very prone to frizz. When my hair is about 50% dry I apply a little of this leave-in to smooth out my strands. It has a bit of slip too so it also helps ease a few of the tangles, preparing my hair for the styling that’ll follow. 

Hair Milk (£8.85/240ml)* 
Without a doubt this is my absolute favourite Natural Textures product. I love milk-y textured products as my hair drops and looks flat if I use anything heavy on my strands. This Hair Milk provides lasting moisture to my thirsty strands without leaving it lank and greasy.


Honey Shea Co-Wash (£7.30/227g)*
To me this product is pretty similar to the Cleansing Cream but it acts more like a conditioner. It’s another great alternative to harsh or stripping shampoos and it's perfect for those who wash their hair regularly. Whilst it’s supposed to be a stand-alone product I’ll always follow this with a deep conditioner as I'm a bit obsessive about ensuring my hair is conditioned to the max each wash day.

Deep Moisturising Masque (£11.95/227g)*
Deep Conditioners are always my favourite products to use. I strongly believe that regardless of your hair type or condition, the right deep conditioner can transform your hair. I have so many deep conditioners that I love already that I had high expectations for this masque. I’ve found it’s not one of those deep conditioners that you can feel working instantly. In fact, when I put it on my hair it always seems to take a long time to sink in and it’s not until I rinse it off that I can really feel how well it’s worked. A plastic cap is a must for this product to help it absorb fully and this is one of the few deep conditioners that I will put aside a full 15 minutes to use as the results are so worth the wait. The only downside is I get through a lot of this product with each use so each tub doesn’t last long.


Butter Cream (£8.40/227g)*
The Butter Cream is like a thick whipped version of the Hair Milk so unsurprisingly it's another favourite. I love using it when I’m twisting or braiding my hair as it gives my hair great definition and shine. I only ever really need to use a little of this product at a time so I’ve had this product on hand for a few months. I like to mix it with a little of the Hair Milk too for the perfect moisturising combo. 

Twist & Define Cream (£7.25/227g)*
I really wanted to love this product as it’s supposed to give ‘smooth, soft twists and twist-outs’ but it's the product I reach for least out of this range. It provides beautiful definition but you have to use this on wet hair each time or it can make the hair dry and sticky. I don’t always tend to wet my hair when doing twist-outs and I like to re-twist my hair each night so I just personally find it a little inconvenient to have to wet my hair every time to use this product.

Defining Custard (£7.10/227g)*
I’ve been on the look out for a great defining product, but I haven't been able to make this work for me. My natural hair lacks definition, so throw relaxer into the mix and without any product my hair can look like a fluffy mess. Like the Twist & Define Cream this ‘Custard’ needs to be used wet. Though I’ve followed the instructions to the letter each time I’ve tried this my hair never quite comes out right. My hair usually ends up dry and flaky which is a shame. 

Overall I love this range of KeraCare products. Most of them work well for me, smell great and I’ll definitely continue to use and buy most of them when they run out. The only products I’m not to crazy about are the Defining Custard and the Twist & Define Cream. I’ve seen many natural ladies get great results with these products so maybe its my transitioning hair which makes them not work for me. I'm hoping that if I revisit these two products when my transition is complete that they'll work better. 

*sample - read my disclaimer here.

Have you tried any Keracare products before?

Lesley x