Skincare | Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra Removal



This post has been in the pipeline for some time but I've been reluctant to post this as the look of my skin has been a sensitive issue for me. During my teenage years I struggled with terrible bouts of acne and this really knocked my confidence as a person. My spots have calmed down dramatically in the last few years but it's taken me some time to be happy with the look of my skin. Apart from monthly breakouts my main skin concern is the Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra (DPN) on my face and neck. You may have noticed it in some of my pictures - DPN is the appearance of round brown, almost black, spots which look a little like moles or skin tags. As I've got older the number of them have increased and I eventually decided to get them removed.

Unfortunately there isn't a huge amount of information on DPN online and less so on where to get it removed in the UK, which is mostly what prompted me to post this. You can get it removed at Absolute Aesthetics so I met with Vicki Smith, Aesthetic Practitioner, at their London clinic in the beginning of March this year. She confirmed that I had DPN which could be removed with Advanced Electrolysis.

I had my treatment on Friday 21 March and opted for one 30 minute session (£130). You can vary the length of the treatment from 15 to 45 minutes. Most of my DPN was treated apart from the smaller ones above my eyes and around my temples. My cheeks were numbed with anaesthetic and here there was no pain but other parts of my face felt uncomfortable during the process, especially my jaw line and under eye area.

Straight after the treatment my face was very red, scabby and puffy. I looked horrible. After the treatment it was suggested to avoid makeup and stay out of the sun. It took about 3 days for the redness to subside and the small scabs gradually fell off over the next week. I was left with no scarring, and most of my DPN had been removed with the exception of the bigger ones which reduced in size and faded in colour.


It's been several months since I had the treatment and overall it worked really well. Initially I thought I wouldn't get this treatment done again because I rarely have a few days of down time to allow my skin to heal. However, seeing how much clearer my skin looks has had me toying with the idea of going back to Absolute Aesthetics to remove the remaining DPN. It wasn't until I compiled all the pictures together that I realised how successful the treatment was! I'm feeling a lot more positive about my skin finally and I'm at least wearing less makeup, though I haven't abandoned it completely...yet.

Have you had any skin treatments before? 

Lesley x